The RunACT Winter Series Race 4 – Weetangara Relays is being held on Sunday 5 July. Following the ACT Cross Country Championships and two successful handicap races, the RunACT Series is going to change things up.
The next race on on Sunday 5 July is a relay around a specially constructed spectator 1km loop next to Weetangara Primary School – Southwell St, Weetangara.
There will be two races
- a 4 x 1 km relay for Under 12s which will begin at 2pm for teams of 4 with each running 1km.
- The Open relay will begin at 2.30pm and rules are as follows:
- Teams of 3 or 4
- Each team member must run a minimum of 2 laps (2km) and a maximum of 4 laps (4km)
- Teams can choose how they manage the laps and team members: they could have a changeover every lap and the team members running 1km at a time – or each runner could run their entire distance in one go. Or any variation they want
- Changeovers are only allowed at the end of laps
- Teams will be welcome to change tactics as the race unfolds
This will be a fun event with plenty of strategy and a course that is set up so that spectators can see most of the race.
For those who are interested in the pointscores, each member of the teams will get the same points, and club pointscores will be based on the individual scores. Members of the winning team will get 40 points, second place will get 38 points etc, with a floor of 20 points per competitor.
Individuals can register for the event online or on the day. The relay teams can be organised and registered on the day. Online entries will open Monday 29th June.
- Athletics ACT Members: $5 per day or $25 for the six-race winter series.
- Non-Members: $10 base membership and $5 per day thereafter or $30 for the complete series
- Primary School Students: Free
All athletes in Belconnen are welcome to participate with Ginninderra Tigers as a member of their RunACT team. Speak with Team Manager Corrina Cadden on Facebook to join in with the fun!