Athletics Australia has today confirmed that the AIS Athletics Track in Bruce (Belconnen) has been reintroduced to the National Australian Athletics Tour in 2014-15.
For the first time since the Australia Cup was disbanded in 2010, Canberra joins Hobart (TAS), Newcastle (NSW), Adelaide (SA), Perth (WA), Brisbane (Qld), Sydney (NSW) and Melbourne (Vic) on the tour.
The Track Classic is the best place to see athletics in our state. In 2010, there were 1600 spectators who witnessed Sally Pearson and Dani Samuels emerge as superstars in the sport. The overall figure was only slightly down on Brisbane’s 2100 spectators.
Performances at the Canberra Track Classic will go towards ensuring selection to the Australian Flame later in the year,” Andrew Matthews, the Athletics Australia Competitions Manager, said. This is great news as it will ensure a huge selection of the nation’s best athletes competing at the AIS against our hometown champions including local Belconnen athletes and Commonwealth Games representatives Martin Dent and Emily Brichacek from the Ginninderra Tigers.
One ACT Athlete eager to compete against Australia’s best including Sally Pearson is Australia’s fastest woman Mel Breen who last season proved exactly how quick the AIS track is when she smashed Melinda Gainsford-Taylor’s 20-year-old 100m women’s record, stopping the clock in 11.11 seconds at the 2014 ACT championships.
2014-2015 Australian Athletics Tour Dates
- 11 December – Zatopek:10 (Australian 10,000m Championship), Melbourne (Vic)
- 24 January – Briggs Athletics Classic, Hobart (TAS)
- 31 January – Hunter Track Classic, Newcastle (NSW)
- 7 February – Canberra Track Classic, Canberra (ACT)
- 14 February – Adelaide Track Classic, Adelaide (SA)
- 21 February – Perth Track Classic, Perth (WA)
- 7 March – Queensland Track Classic, Brisbane (Qld)
- 14 March – Sydney Track Classic (Tour Final), Sydney (NSW)
- 21 March – IAAF Melbourne World Challenge (Tour Final), Melbourne (Vic)
For more information visit Athletics ACT or Athletics Australia.